The Washington national premier league
Washington National Premier League Overview
The Washington NPL (WNPL) is the most competitive league in the Washington Premier League (WPL). The WNPL is sanctioned by US Club Soccer.
The WNPL is composed of two premier divisions: Prem 1 and Prem 2. Winners of Prem 1 advance to US Club's national club tournament platform - The ENPL national playoffs or the NPL National finals tournament.
The nation's most competitive youth soccer clubs are members of the NPL tournament platform - making it one of most elite national competitions in the country.
In an effort to raise the competitive standards of teams and clubs participating in the WNPL, the league has updated a list of requirements that club teams must meet to remain in these NPL leagues. The league will be conducting audits to identify compliance issues and then agree on a reasonable time frame for clubs to meet those requirements.
- Eligible WNPL age groups - 13U to 19U teams boys and girls.
- Boys 15U-17U WNPL 1 winners advance to ENPL National Playoffs.
- Girls 13U-19U WNPL 1 winners advance to NPL Finals.
- Boys 13U-14U WNPL 1 winners compete in the National Cup finals.
Washington NPL clubs and Washington ECNL Boys clubs advance to the same ENPL national playoff tournament.
Washington National Premier League (WNPL): 2020-2021 Season
Year-Round WNPL season for 12U-14U Premier Teams
- WNPL SEASON 12U-14U: FALL 2020 – SPRING 2021
- QUALIFIED WNPL DIVISIONS: PREM 1 & PREM 2
- 16 GAME SEASON (typically)
- WNPL TEAMS PLAY EACH OTHER IN MORE LEAGUE MATCHES
- ONE-TIME REGISTRATION FOR FULL YEAR
- CLUBS MUST MEET WNPL STANDARDS
- STATEWIDE TRAVEL REQUIRED
- SPLIT SEASON (FALL & SPRING) BUT ONE SCHEDULE
- WNPL WINNER IS DETERMINED AT THE END OF SPRING
- TEAMS REQUIRED TO PLAY WASHINGTON CUP
Standards for placement
WNPL CLUB REQUIREMENTS
- For a club to compete in the WNPL, at least 75% of its teams must be registered in PSPL leagues.
- Club DOC most hold a minimum United Soccer Coaches National Diploma or USSF C license.
- Club DOC must ultimately hold either a USSF B license or a USC Advanced National diploma.
- DOC must submit plan to attain the USSF B or Advanced National license within a reasonable amount of time.
- Club must submit a club-wide player development curriculum to the league office for approval - ninety days from admittance to the WNPL.
- A Club official must complete the United Soccer Coaches Director of Coaching diploma course.
- All WNPL Coaches must hold a minimum National Diploma, or can hold a USSF D License initially. But coaches must submit plan to league office that shows they will attain National Diploma within one year.
- All PSPL coaches below WNPL divisions are required to hold minmium soccer coaching diplomas or licenses certified by United Soccer Coaches or US Soccer Federation.
- WNPL clubs must provide its highest quality field (and field equipment) when hosting matches.
- WNPL clubs must supply a high level three-person referee crew when hosting matches.
- All WNPL clubs must use Ridgestar Referee scheduling and reporting system.
- By joining the WNPL league, clubs agree to league audits to ensure clubs are compliant or making good-faith effort to comply with WNPL standards.