US Club Soccer Player Development Program
US Club Soccer Player Development Program is coming to Washington state Aug. 25 at Eastlake Community Fields, Samammish, Washington!
What is PDP? A regionally based identification and developmental programs conducted within the id2 Program umbrella. The Player Development Program (PDP) is focused around the National Premier Leagues (NPL) and other top leagues in specific geographic areas.
PDP invitations are based upon objective scouting of elite clubs and leagues, combined with recommendations from top Directors of Coaching. Each PDP includes at least one training session and one internal competition. Some PDPs also include off-field educational components, as well.
Players selected at the PDP camps attend the national id2 training camps staffed by US Club and U.S. Soccer staff for potential U.S. National Team inclusion. Staff conduct off-the-field lectures, seminars, coaching and other related discussions. id2 camps are free for selected players except for airfare. The id2 camps are hosted usually twice a year on the east and west coasts.
Beginning in early 2014, as part of an expansion of US Club Soccer’s id² Program, PDP grew to offer new expanded PDP programs involving additional age groups and more frequent training opportunities for some of the country’s top players.
Both the id2 Program and PDP have been granted Olympic Development Program status by the U.S. Soccer Federation and the US Olympic Committee.
Additionally, US Club Soccer sanctions PDPs that are hosted by major member organizations. All their PDPs are also approved as Olympic Development Program events.
How is this achieved?
- A professional training and game environment.
- Specialized training with experienced coaches – PDP staff and International coaches.
- Games – International trips, National Tournaments, College Showcases and Regional showcases.
- A homework and evaluation program.
The objective of the Player Development Program is to:
- Identify motivated, talented players – with club assistance.
- Assist clubs in the player development process.
- Showcase and promote players to US Soccer’s National Teams and Training Centers, Professional Clubs, id2 and College Soccer programs.
Player Selection Process
- During the months of June and July, the PSPL will send out a letter to all Directors of Coaching (DOC’s) in the particular age group asking for recommendations of players. The recommendations can ONLY be made by DOCs.
- The DOCs fill out the registration link supplied by US Club Soccer.
- The players will receive an official invite to the PDP event from the PSPL and US Club Soccer.
- The PSPL Technical Director and league coaching staff evaluate players and make selections – Please note the number of players selected depends on the aim of the program or event (for more information see age group objectives below).
Cost of the program?
- The program is FREE for players.
- The PSPL fully funds the PDP program.
About PDP Events
- US Club Soccer’s id2 Program staff on-site to scout national team-level players for inclusion in id2 Training Camps.
- An opportunity to play with and against some of the area’s top players in the age group.
- Participation of the top players within the relevant geographic area based upon an approved scouting and recommendation process.
- Presentation to the players from U.S. Soccer staff, technical leaders, or subject matter experts.